R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 06:40 PM
goehm
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34
It shouldn't have reached hot enough temps in that short amount of time then. The only thing I can think of is the mesh wasn't tight enough. (Not saying you dont know how to set it) I've raced about 5 times with my new E car with huge jumps, sections where I needed to be on the gas hard, and haven't had any problems. Same with a few other locals around here.

I set my mesh like how UN4RACING said he does his. As tight as possible without the gears binding up. And it's quiet out on the track as well.
I think it really depends on what's causing the heat to know if it can happen in 5 minutes. I had a very dirty motor bearing that was causing my spur to fail. I was chasing down gear mesh, movement of the center diff, bending of the motor/diff mounts, bearings in the trans, center bearings, diff gears, etc.

I didn't realize it until I started heat-gunning everything and saw that the pinion and center diff were at like 160 or so. Not sure how hot they were at the time of failure.

So if you're (OP) still having problems, pull out the temp gun and hit your pinion and diff gear and see where they're temping at. After running the TEN-SCTE for a while, I've learned that it's not a bad idea to temp the area with where the front and rear ring and pinions connect to the F/R driveshafts every so often. I've seen a few diff cases melt due to failed bearings and it's a good way to keep those in check. Failure of those is a PITA.

I've since replaced the motor bearing with a ceramic and have been since.