R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray T3 2012
Thread: Xray T3 2012
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 12:06 AM
andrewdoherty
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Maybe try this. Just theory, and not proven, but it sounds accurate in my head?

Back droop screws way off the chassis
Set RH to 5 mm measured at the center rear of chassis
Set chassis on RH gauge at a value of 5mm + ORH mm.
Tighten droop screws until axles begin to move
Use droop blocks and gauge to even droop out side to side(should be minimal)
OK, I tried that method IRL and wasn't terribly pleased with the repeatablity. The good news is I think I have a repeatable and very accurate (as accurate as the steps in your RH gauge at least. Mine was only .5 mm, but you can get the Hudy stepped gauge with .2 mm step accuracy) way of getting an ORH measurement. I can be overly analytic and I usually don't like settling for a "feel" type of measurement.

This doesn't require taking wheels off or using any thing more than a stepped RH gauge and flat surface. Let me see if I can get this across...

1.First off this is assuming properly functioning mechanics with a flat chassis. It will not be reliable if the shocks are not smooth, or there is a significant tweak.
2.Complete the following with the rear of the car facing you and near to the edge of your pit board closest to you.
3.Back droop screws away from chassis to ensure they are not effecting RH
4.Set RH to desired amount (5 mm lets say)
5.Slide stepped RH gauge under right rear corner of chassis so that chassis sits at RH + ORH value. (5 mm + 2 mm for this exercise)
6.Position car and gauge so car is on the pit board, but the thick 1/3 of the stepped RH gauge is hanging off the board (gauge is parallel with belts)
7.While watching the right rear shock shaft, just below the bottom of the shock body, gently lift up on the back edge of the RH gauge 1-2 mm. (Chassis will lift)
8. If the shock shaft stayed in the same position relative to the shock body and did not extend out any, you need to add droop.
9.If the shock shaft extended out at all you need to take away droop.
10.Repeat steps 7-9 until you are right at the point where the shaft just moves, but almost imperceptibly.(I had a light on the shaft and was down at eye level with the shock body/shaft junction)
11.Repeat this procedure with the gauge on the other edge of the chassis and looking at the left rear shock.

Someone else try this and see if you think this works? I don't always trust myself this late at night.