R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GT 1/8 Scale Rules and Setup Sharing
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Clete Landefeld
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bassman2
GT8 National Series Board of Racers had provided Clete Landefeld the final rules to present to the ROAR. The decision on the engine rule is to keep it OPEN(after numerous discussions from GT8 racers around the nation). Here is why:

The weight (least 3500 grams) and design of the GT8 cars (shaft-driven

buggy based onroad vehicle on rubber tires) limit what ALL ENGINES can do.

High dollar onroad engines lack torque for these heavy cars so racers will need to gear low to KEEP up with cheaper .28 or .21 offroad engines(that have more torque) around the infields of the track.

Cheaper .28 or .21 offroad engines will need to gear taller to keep up with the onroad engine's mid range to high end power on the straight.

There are both PROs and CONs for using either high dollar onroad or cheaper .28 or .21 off road engines so we've decided on OPEN engine rule since there are advantages and disadvantages using any type of .21 or .28 engines.

Again, it all comes down to CAR SETUP and DRIVING to ensure ALL THE POWER gets delivered to the ground without wasting any excessive power from your engines.

The GT8 cars by design(due to its heavy weight and shaft driven) is SLOWER than 1/10 and 1/8 4WD. This class is definitely fast enough to call it an Onroad class. I would strongly encourage ALL onroad racers around the country to help promoting this class and "NOT LOOK DOWN" on this class because these cars are slower on the track. You have to realize these race cars are heavier/shaft-driven and run on RUBBER TIRES, just like 1:1 race cars do. One thing that everyone should agree on is GT8 class is TRULY A FUN class. No matter the car is fast or slow, a racer will still have to DRIVE the car and setup the car to go fast.

The bottomline is everyone would like to see onroad nitro racing to thrive again. Lets help fella racers and bring in more new racers to this great sport we all love (manufacturers/ROAR/racers).

The TRUTH is any QUALITY engines will be competitive in the GT8 class regardless the price tag due to cars weight and overall design requirements for the class. And when a new comer or someone thinking about joining the class asks:

Do I need to buy a high dollar engine to win in this class? And the answer will be ABSOLUTELY NOT, any QUALITY engines can win in the GT8 class regardless the price tag due to cars weight and overall design requiremtns for the class.

Can I buy a high dollar engine (on or offroad version) because I like the quality from these engines for this GT8 class? And the answer will be ABOLUTELY YES, any QUALITY engines can win in the GT8 class regardless the price tag due to cars weight and overall design requirements for the class.

PLEASE LET THE TRUTH BE TOLD TO EVERYONE STARTING NOW.

Andy Liu "Flyin Hawaiian"
Originally Posted by *1speedy
I didn’t realize I was being unreasonable. I was just pointing out some facts that people discuss in the pits at every race but for some reason these discussions become taboo on the forums.

Clete did u read the "roar" quote a few pages back?

I see a large Candy Coated Turd that is going to be freely given out with hours and hours of thought of the right cocktail to help swallow it with. Hope I am wrong

Andy, Thanks for the great response about the engines. You obviously took time and effort into expressing your thoughts and your experiences for this class. Hope you are not the only nominated person to shake a branch

That’s why people like you are Nominated in said position. Keep up the great work on and off the track

Hope for the best, let’s all hurry up and wait

BOOOOOO YAAAAAH

Nope.. I have not seen it..
And I did not mean you were being unresonable. You ass buster!
I have been off line for quite a while.. Clearly I need to go a look back thru the thread!!! .... My over all thought was to see what ROAR came up with.. so.. again.. I will look back and see.