R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent S411
Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Johnny Wishbone
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Well, I tried the car out with the V2 mount / V1 centre piece last night, and only using the front most (the central one) to mount to the top deck... and honestly, I didn't like it. Car felt very loose all night, especially mid-to-exit.
Interesting, as you say perhaps it went far to soft for your track conditions causing other handling issues on the side. Still its another tuning option that may work somewhere some time. I recall doing testing of V1 VS V2 mount and found that V2 felt like it made the car have a slight torque steer issue, now I run the V2 almost always and suspect that the weird feel could have been the gear diff more than the motor mount.

Originally Posted by Vector03cobra
Going to pick up one of these cars, S411 TE.

The local class is 13.5 blinky on carpet.

What should I get extra, or can anyone point me to one of the carpet setups.

I skimmed most of this thread only thing I have a hard time with is mixing outdoor setups with indoor.

Thanks for all your guys help and info(and getting me up to speed)
Jeff
At a minimum, if you run on carpet, get the hard arms. You could opt for the whole hard option parts but the arms have the greatest impact on the car. The 2.50 top deck is really nice (followed by the 2.50 chassis, I have modified my stock 2.50 to same widths as all the newer chassis). The V2 motor mount is a good option as well. You'll probably need some .5mm lower shims for lower rc adjustment. Also a selection of shock oils and diff oils. The rest of the kit is pretty solid. Check the Petit RC site for setups, quite a few carpet ones on there.

Originally Posted by BCDK
Hi.

We also love the Serpent, and we would also not exchange the car for an Awesomatix. I wrote as I did, because we had a race last weekend on a track with very low grip and with almost useless tires. The guy with the Awesomatix was the fastest. He had a special active toe in built in in his car. On the straight he had less toe in than in the corner. I think it helped the car and especially the tires, that the rear tires stayed cooler. How he did it, don't ask me.
Nice to here, twice the car for half the price.. The active rear toe is something I looked at a while back on the 411, I think it could be done without a lot of work, but not sure if it would be worth it, maybe more of a asphalt big track thing, where on our short carpet tracks the short straight may not really be worth the effort.

I would agree, its hard to give good solid setup help when your not actually there to see what the track is doing and how it effects the car. Even for myself, sometimes what others observe, isn't what the driver is feeling or seeing, so all you can do is give general ideas, but never take it as rock solid advice, and be prepared to change your setup. Ultimately you have to drive the car, and if it feels good to you that is what counts, no matter what the setup book and the experts say. Most times what information that is given is what worked for them in that situation, even Martin Crisps setup book last sentence says you're setup may differ from what is suggested.