R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The future of On-Road Nitro racing falls on our kids.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:45 PM
5italkart
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blis
It's usually a boy thing ya know... I've had 5 great years filled with ups and downs with my two sons, I started 35 years ago building Balsa gliders with PVA glue, then sold it, got car, got married had kids and spent the first 10 years sulking when they'd bring home RC toys and I'd wait in the wings for them to break only to find out there were no servos and receiver inside but a moulded chassis come circuit board and a couple of electric motors.

Needless to say, I bought a Tamiya gravel hound when they reached ten years old and then an Inferno 1:8 Nitro buggy and just by chance stumbled across a world class track. Hopped across the lane to the hobby shop and bought our first 200mm tourer.

We agreed that we'd take turns, that lasted all of a week and I was relegated to the garages and pit lane. We agreed that if they drove well, kept on the track we'd be able to keep going and they could drive. In no time I had my younger son driving EP and the older IC and we spent every weekend together creating fond memories.

My eldest is 17 now, he dragged me and my back pocket into a 1:1 car VW GOLF MK1 GTI with a 16V implant so his head was hanging out with mates and enjoying his new found freedom. His last year at school also drew him towards a rugby team that ended well and they won premiership, but we missed him at the races.

He came back to race our state titles and it was just like it always was, I think he's been bitten by the bug and trust later in his life there'll be a time to escape and play with his kids.

While I've not witnessed any real sexism in the sport, there are so few female racers I'll openly admit I like my sons hanging out with the "BLOKES" as we call them and enjoying a common interest that lends itself well to boyishness. Specially enjoy the mix of age groups that make up our sport and a time where you see care from elder males to the younger ones, passing on their wisdom and experience in what can be (and is for us) a cruel hobby.

It's taught them electrics, mechanics, physics, a little chemistry and a whole lot of self control. A great way of teaching as there's lots of subject matter to work from. I try and keep the racing separate from their performance and look to the timing systems for a good measure of improvement. Best advice is, "keep it on the black stuff and get out of the way of any car on your tail."

Yes they are the future, yes we should nurture them, 11 is a good time to start and there's only 5-6 years at this stage with them. My younger is still into the racing and I put that down as lucky. I know many that still race into their mid twenties and a few that appear once a year, every year

They're big now... and still racing

http://youtu.be/4kaQ8njHE_s

h
nice track