R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Weight Distribution - How to do perfectly?
Old 09-21-2004, 03:24 AM
antoniop
Tech Regular

Like gearless I use 4 500gr scales. After seeing his scales I had to get a sistem like that.

The car has to be adjusted so that the diagonals are equal or whithin 1% difference.

If we can get the same reading on the left wheels and on the right the better, but the diagonals is what really matters because the weight of the car is transferred that way.

I made a small excel spreadsheet and I input te readings from the 4 scales.

The first time I took almost an hour to adjust the car. Now it takes me 10 minutes to do it.

Adjusting a spring pre load affetcs all the wheels, but it's easy to have the same exact weight on both diagonals.

This method changed my mind about the balance and additional weight placement on the cars.

A firend of mine has a Losi XXX-S that was showing huge handling problems when turning left at speed. Everybody was attributing this to the excessive weight on the right side of the car.
After adjusting the car on the scales not only it handles perfect, but it was the best left/right balanced car I tested. The car was 1 gr heavier on the motor side. Who would tell (Gil Losi probably LOL)?

How do I use the XLS at the track? I take a Palm with me...

The example attached if for an Xray T1FK with batteries all the way back, a Futaba 9450, and a Ko 302 and Nosram Evolution on the left side .

The Rx is the closest possible to the centre of the car and the Nosram is mounted with the wires facing the centre of the car.
I have 10gr weight just behind the bumper on the right side of the car and 25gr on the right mounting position close to the pinion.
30gr are installed on the centreline of the car.

Here's the spreadsheet
Attached Files
File Type: zip
balancas.zip (2.5 KB, 244 views)

Last edited by antoniop; 09-21-2004 at 06:16 AM.