R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 04:49 AM
meno1103
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well I posted a while back about sharing some pics, almost three months ago

Finally, some pics, albeit not great pics but all I have is my phone at the moment:

Here is an electric RS4 frankenstein. Started out as a Rally, converted to on-road so it has 200mm width
MIP nitro RS4 alloy CVDs front and rear
HPI carbon graphite(molded) front/rear bulkheads and front knuckles intended for the Pro 2
HPI carbon graphite(again molded) front/rear ball diffs with ceramic balls
HPI woven graphite chassis, top deck, front/rear shock towers, and side belt tensioner
HPI urethane rear belt intended for Pro 2
HPI heatsink motor mount
Pro 4 threaded shocks
HPI clamp-style alloy hexes
HPI sway bar set
Lunsford titanium turnbuckles and hingepins
Steering bellcrank mod (turnbuckle in place of bent wire)
HPI two-speed currently with 96/90t 48pitch spurs and 19/25t pinions
Novak 3.5R GTB combo
Bluebird super speed servo
Alloy hardware (screws, ball ends etc.)

The other car here is also a frankenstein (on-road converted rally)
Lunsford titanium turnbuckles
RPM ball cups
Bellcrank mod
HPI sway bars
Robinson Racing spur gear adapter

I used this car to race with friends running Sprint 2s, other RS4s, and a Pro 4.
Using the car as shown (has JR sport servo in pic, back when racing I used a JR Z590M), with a D6 quad mag can, 9T trinity armature, and cobalt 2 enbell, and the LRP Quantum Comp 2 esc, I was often the fastest. I was the only one running brushed stuff, others had Castle 5700kv-6900kv, the guy with the 5700 equipped Pro 4 beating me out once my motor was due for a comm truing/fresh brushes. Everyone was also running 2s lipo(notice the holes on battery hold down), and geared for around 50mph top end, with this car bumping 52s when the air was right.

The RX8 was the 'racer', the M3 is the bling car (taken out once in a blue moon)

These cars handle high power very well, as in 'control-ability'. They have tons of grip with HPI x-pattern belted tires and proper setup, and are very light. I've had funky things happen due to high power though, such as shearing the spring pins that drive the plastic pulleys on the top shaft...into three pieces (on the racer), melted a graphite diff due to slip from the rear end hopping during a speed run (on the bling car, approx 65mph), and also this:

That happened on the racer while exiting a corner, no funky jumps or jolts, just pegged the throttle and the car said no... my guess: too much grip and power for an old steel component

Last edited by meno1103; 08-08-2012 at 08:08 AM.