R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Randy_Pike
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ABN Hoosier
I had some questions about the Timing/Boost.

I have a Tekin RX-8 and a Tekin Pro4 4600kv in my Team Associated SC10 4x4
Gearing is 16T pinion and 60T spur.

It is tall gearing but I modded dual fans to cool the motor. I ran a 10min Main and my temps on ESC/MOTOR were 135/165. Not too shabby.

I ran MIN timing boost. I wanted to try around 15 @ 8200 to 21000 timing/boost (rounded numbers, I don't have the Hotwire program open in front of me). I set it up to kick in at that RPM. My questions are: What increase in temps might I expect? How much power increase when it kicks in should I expect to feel?

I don't want to burn it up, and I have heard people don't run timing/boost on the Pro4's. But I wanted the 2 cents on it before I gave it a run.
First off let's clear up a term so we're talking properly. The Rx8 doesn't "boost" it only adds "Timing advance."

The Pro 4 doens't need timing to go fast. You're already geared higher than I'd suggest unless you're outdoors on a 1/8 track. You can begin adding small amounts like you're suggesting. Leave the rpms defaulted though as they're default for offroad racing. You can play with them but you'll want a wider rpm variance while testing the amount of timing.

It should simply make more power. Note though that there is a point of no "returns" in which it will only generate more motor heat and consume more battery mah and simply not go faster.

Your batteries will become the weak link in your chain.