R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread
Old 07-27-2012, 06:35 PM
justpoet
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chucko
I.m getting ready to do a marathon with my SCTE... I have in it now a rx8 and 4600.. I don't want to toast these running for 4 hrs.. what would a good in-expensive motor and speed control that would last 4 hrs of hard running.. I have 9 6800 Pro match 2 cells... so batteries aren't the issue. or should I buy another 4600 and rx8 Thanks ? or maybe a 38 and go 3's ?? any Ideas with out starting a motor war. Please post part numbers if you got em Thanks
I don't know that I've hit 4 hours straight, but I've done a couple hours straight a few times during practice by cycling through 6600 turnigy's until LVC. I run an RX8/4600 13t, no timing, no drag brake, 65% current limit, AE heat sink on motor (and airflow through the body). Normal temps after a full pack (or several) are 130ish in 85 ambient or 135ish in 95+ ambient for the Pro4, RX8 below 115 even with the higher ambient, and battery about 105 after a hard full pack.

For reference, here's the heat sink I use (held on with some double sided thermal tape so it won't slide around during hard hits):
ASC3928

As long as you make sure your bearings are good all around, I'd think you'd be fine with a setup like that and not kill your existing electronics.

For further setup reference, I run the common 5/5/3 diff oil setup and my truck is not lightened (CF towers but tbone rear and rpm front bumpers).