R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New Sakura XI
Thread: New Sakura XI
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 08:58 AM
rcwck
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default DH build

First Sakura for me. I have a X-ray T3R, Serpent S411 TE and an Associated 6.1. I'm really digging the flexy engineering because our track is slickery. Flexy chassis/top plate and split hinge pin blocks is why I was interested in the DH and of course the color pink for saving the "Ta Tas".

Here are some points for consideration:

There is nothing to secure the pullies on the spur gear shaft. They are just pressed onto the hub and will find there way outwards to rub on the aluminum bulkheads. Other manufacturers use E clips to secure the pullies. I don't understand how this was overlooked being this problem exists on previous models. I used a couple small drops of ca to secure the pullies to the hub for now.

Shimming for side play of the spur gear shaft is no easy task. There is a new V2 motor mount that will allowing shimming a much easier task because it has separate bearing shaft holders.

The kit gearing is good for mod but taller gearing for stock or blinky class requires some additions. Using the included 85T 48P pinion and the vertical motor mount the largest pinion is somewhere in the 28T range. That puts the the tallest FDR around 6.0. A much smaller spur is required or the V2 motor mount assembly.

Shorter shocks that require a different spring length than most other popular sedans.

Very narrow front and rear tracks. Axles stick out way past the wheels. Much thicker wheel hex drives needed. Maybe 5 or 6mm not the 4mm supplied. You can shim the wheels out or cut the axles. Axles sticking out are problematic when rubbing track boards. It does allow for track width tuning. I don't shim wheels for mod, have had wheel hexes round off.

Front and rear bearing caps. Talking about inboard camber link ball ajustability. A flat head screw comes up from the bottom side of the cap. The screw rides in a slot and is held in position with a small plate on top of the bearing cap. There is no way to hold the flat head screw without removing the bearing cap. I understand that this gives finer adjustments. Just use a hex head screw captive in a slot so disassembly of the entire cap is not needed to make adjustments. Might be nit picking but I like to play with the adjustments. All other popular sedans are easy to adjust camber rod lengths and angles.

Will the Zero threaded bearing caps/bulkhead covers fit the DH???????

Just my early observations. Helpful comments welcome.

Last edited by rcwck; 07-26-2012 at 02:27 PM.