R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread
Old 07-25-2012, 02:37 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vasidudu
The only HUGE difference is I had set the dead band on the ESC on a very small value 0.0500s instead of 0.1000 as default >>> Much more control on start up, more punch in the mid RPM (clearing small triples not a problem). I had also smoothed the throttle curve in the soft. With the previous dead band set at 0.1000 it felt like I had no real control over how the truck would act at startup and on jumps.

What would change in the actual truck behavior if I was to change from timing 10 to 0 and "replace" with punch control from 100% to 80%?
Would the whole ESC / motor / battery get hotter?

Am I better off tweaking timing or punch control?

What is the actual difference between punch control and timing? I do get both are relating to "over clocking" the whole system but I do not see the difference.

Finally, would I get the same punch going from to a 17T to 19T?
Throttle dead band is basically how much you have to pull trigger or push brake for the esc to notice it; it will disregard smaller values as neutral. Its main purpose is to compensate for the play int the radio throttle mechanism; with a good radio it should be set low.

Timing is simply put how soon the the esc will put voltage to the coils driving the motor; generally lower values mean better efficiency and runtimes, while higher values mean more speed and even more current draw.

Punch control on the other hand limits how fast the esc reacts to throttle commands; if you pull the throttle quickly it will act as if you had pulled it slower, so it is only useful if you (like me ) have a trigger happy finger.
First I would lower the timing and playing with punch control is depending on your throttle finger.

Last but not least what do you mean by smoothing out the throttle curve? By default it is linear AFAIK.