R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Cheap ESC vs Novak/Tekin/Castle/etc
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 02:34 PM
burnineyes
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cmross13
im looking around at ESC/Motor combos and there is simply an overwhelming amount of options. the guys at my local track run anything from EZ-Run to MMP to Viper to Velineon, but its kinda difficult to catch each one of them and discuss the pros and cons of the different systems, so i thought public forum would be the best way to get the insight i need.

in the past i would just go with a name i trusted, but in those days there were only three real choices. Novak, Tekin, and later LRP were the only real "competetion level" ESCs available. there were no cheap but worthy options.

so in my quest to build a winning 2wd SC on a tight budget, i've been looking at the following sensored setups:

Hobbyking X-Car 100A/6.5T combo - $94

Brushless Hobbies LT4 (120A) - $67.95 + Tacon 8.5T Sensored motor - $45.24 = $113

Hobbywing Xerun 120A/10.5T combo - $133

can anybody give me any input on these, or other similar products? im trying to keep it low-buck but am willing to pay for quality if its going to make that big of a difference. what does, for example, a Tekin RS do that one of the above mentioned ESCs doesn't? maybe i should just buy a used Castle setup for $120 on here?

it should be noted the the included motors ive spec'd above would be used initially but if it failed i wouldn't have a problem spending a little bit of money on a top-tier motor.

comments, suggestions, insight, etc are all strongly suggested
I cant comment on the HK ESCs except that I have seen numerous complaints here on the forums so I will stick to using their batteries only. But I have run Castle, Tekin, LRP, Novak, Hobbywing and others. For all of the extra cost all you are getting is the excellent customer support and nothing else. In fact, Hobbywing has been more reliable than any other brand I have used besides Tekin. I never had a problem with anything Tekin except the cost.

Originally Posted by cmross13
when it comes to spec racing like that pretty much any ESC would suffice. unfortunately, where i live, all the classes are "Open"
I dont know where you race but everywhere I have raced it is just the opposite. In the "open" classes everyone has more power than they need, so the person who can make the least mistakes and get that power to the ground usually wins. In the spec classes however, the whole idea is to make everyone equal. So any little advantage can make a huge difference.