R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)
Old 07-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Jonny5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billjacobs
there are several tires I can think of that work at many tracks (although losi has only a few tire choices, how about the losi ultra digits.) the reason to not include tires is to increase profit on each kit. If you included tires, you couldn't price the truck over $400 (after discounts) and have people accept that. So you price it at $360 and keep the cost of the tires. this is the same thing as the durango desc410v2 not including a body because they say it saves shipping cost. Who is saving the shipping cost? This is a simple way to incrementally increase the cost of r/c to get the most profit out. Another simple question: if the 22t is $279 with 2 bodies, why is the 22sct $359 with 1 body (even if you add $20 for the better diff balls, and another $15 for the bumpers, there is still a $50 difference) I am not complaining about the price, I am simply trying to show that off road kits are going the way of the 4wd sedan. Soon, all of the racing 2wd sct kits will be over $300, and the 4wd kits will be over $400.
If it's a race ready kit, who cares about tires? I would rather save $100 on performance bits and buy a set of tires than have to throw away kit tires and need to still buy my preferred tire and all of the nice lightweight and/or bling parts that I'll be putting on anyway.

And to address the profit mongering theory, ask anyone who works for AE, TLR, Durango, or any other race quality manufacturer. The profit is not in selling kits. They certainly don't lose money on them, but their margin is in selling spare and hop up parts. That's a non-arguable fact.

Back on topic, even though I'll likely never own one, I'm excited to see some new competition in the SC class. Hopefully this attracts both new racers and makes some experienced racers join the class who otherwise may not have. Between this and the new TD truck it's going to be a very fun indoor season this year.