R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Project: Basher Buggy Build from a Racer's Perspective
Old 07-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Krawlin
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Continuing on, I went ahead and installed the receiver since the radio box was good to go. I added some velcro in the radio box and on the bottom of the receiver, and while it isn’t really needed because the receiver should stay put in the radio box it does help cushion it a bit, no sense in letting your $70 2.4GHz receiver bounce around in there when it doesn’t need to. Also note the on/off switch block of plate, I have had so many on/off switch failures over the years that have caused runaways that I got fed up with them and just plug the battery directly into the receiver. If you can remember to use an on/off switch then you can remember to pull the receiver box lid and unplug the battery, its cheap insurance and only takes a little longer to do that than turn off an on/off switch. Another thing to note in the below picture is the small rubber grommet where the receiver antenna goes through the box. While this is 2.4GHz and you really don’t need to even use an antenna, I like to anyway just to be on the safe side, but the rubber grommet is important here. I have had to replace the antenna on some receivers in years past because the insulation rubbed off where they went through the radio box and eventually it cut through the wire, it’s rare but it can happen, putting in a small rubber grommet like the one pictured is cheap insurance against that. I believe that grommet is actually for use with a servo (on the mounting ears), but those things for servos so work good for that too, so use then when you can!

Just a recommendation, the switch to lithium batteries is quiet popular for powering the receiver and servos, especially with the new high voltage servos. Problem is, if you don’t have HV servos and you want the runtimes of LiPo you have to run a voltage regulator. If you want to get the runtimes of LiPo without the voltage regulator, you can use a LiFe receiver pack. Their fully charged voltage is 7.20 volts, the same as a NiMH 5 cell receiver pack, and even with the same mAh rating, the LiFe rx pack I run gives me like 3 times the runtime that the NiMH packs ever did, the reason behind it is because they can handle the amp draw alot better and don’t drop off in such a steep discharge curve like NiMH packs do. I use a Protek LiFe 2S 1700mAh pack, only $35 from A-MainHobbies, same cost as alot of the NiMH packs out there, if you have a LiFe capable charger I would seriously consider picking one of these up. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...=Product-Feeds

Next up was some other basic stuff, like getting the fuel tank installed, fuel lines routed, air filter installed, fuel splash guard installed, getting the pipe cleaned up and installed, etc.

First up was the fuel tank, lines, splash guard, and air filter. I had to modify the splash guard a bit to clear the brake linkage when at full throttle, just a simple cut and clean up with the Dremel. For the fuel tank I also added an addition o-ring between the tank and the posts, so there is that o-ring and a rubber bushing on the tank mounting ears to reduce tank vibration that causes fuel foaming (not pictured).

For the fuel tube routing I really love the little double line clips that you can get from OFNA and various other companies. Alot of 1/8′s these days have these already molded into the side of the tank but older buggies like this MBX5R did not, so I CA glued 2 of them to the side of the tank, and used additional ones to keep the lines together where they were all in 1 place. I also kept the fuel line itself on the highest portion of the clips to keep the fuel away from the pipe to keep it cooler. I also don’t run a fuel filter because I feel the stone filter in the tank is good enough and in the past when I have run fuel filters, when I took them apart to clean them I never found any debris in them, so they just seem pointless to me, just another place for an air bubble in the lines to cause a random lean condition. I also installed the pipe, pipe support spring and support spring post. Pipe is a Dynamite 086 with smooth flow round header.