R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 11:45 AM
scott.wilson
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hello all,

after some hiatus from radio control, i am considering a relapse. this would be my second relapse actually.

Now, for the first time ever, i live near a carpet track. Upon visiting this track I discovered vta. I said what the hell is that. Then a series of rules were explained that halfway made sense.

1. the driver in the car-- spirit or not, they are dinky imho

2. motor/esc -- Novak only? why not regulate the turns/kv rating-- not the brand. without competition we will forever be stuck paying whatever novak says we will to run VTA class? thats sucky

3. wheels and tires -- HPI only? I just dont get this brand limiting. I understand that the rule was put in place to even the playing field. that said, why would any company produce competitive products if hpi has the whole class on lock via THE RULEBOOK. That cant be good for the industry or growth of the class?

4. Bodies -- about 4 choices? cool.

All that said, this class sounds really fun and competitive, it just irks me to be forced into a brand and not a style/format, you know? the novak setup is like 150-175$-- a hobbywing setup is practially half that and could double the speed of the same chassis. it just bothers me. spend more money to go slower to be competitive. just feels like backwards logic.
Are people happy with these rules? I was told it was a budget class, but seeing as how (unless you buy a sprint2) you are looking at 250$ish to convert any old TC to VTA regulation, it seems to be expensive enough.
Convince me otherwise, cause i wanna race!

ps they race vta and a gt class at this track (hotshots rc Marietta GA)
and i am most likely getting a TA-05 regardless of class.

thanks for any perspectives, comments, or input.

-Scott