R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Did I kill my center diff?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Jerm13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GregUnd
So today was the first day that I was able to get out and run the lx2. I had ran about 7 tanks through to brake the motor in earlier this week. Today it rained and I took it out after that so it was nice and muddy. Anyway, after running it hard today and after washing it off, I noticed it rolled very rough, sounded and felt like gears weren't meshing right. With the car off the ground I can turn the front wheels without the rear wheels moving and vis versa, until it "catches", and that point all 4 wheels turn and that also when I feel/hear the sound of gears not meshing correctly. I've read in several different places that the first thing to do with an lx2 is to get rid of the factory grease and put in oil but I didn't know which weight oil so I just left it in. I figured it would be ok for at least a while.....

Also, when i just push it on the ground it rolls like its under resistance, brakes are not engaged.

Also, the clutch is not broken or engaged, I can move the bell housing freely.
Sounds like more of a ring and pinion problem than an internal diff problem.

First thing is to check the clutch bell spur gear. Make sure there isnt any missing teeth and th mesh is good. Then check to make sure the set screws are alighned and tightened in the center drive shafts where they meet the front/ rear diff housings.

Second you need to find out if its the front or rear. Use a couple of small allens to lock the rear out drives so they wont spin. Then spin the front wheels and make sure its good all the way around. If it skips or grinds, you have a problen in the front.

Do the same with the rear.

Or since you want to put oil in all the diffs anyway, just start taking everything apart and inspect it as you work. Being a fairly new car, Im going to go with a loose set screw or some crud got in the diff case and killed a ring gear.

Good luck.