R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - OFNA Starter box LOUD screech!
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 01:57 PM
rcuser567345
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
Well being that Ofna makes 8 different 1/8th scale starter boxes, you might want to specify which one it is that you have. I was basing my answer for the squealing noise on one of their direct drive boxes where the wheel is bolted directly to the motor. For that the answer is most likely that the wheel has come just loose enough to slip when put under a load. Now that it has been divulged that you are using the truggy box, my first guess would be one (or both) of the pinions are slipping (like BTA suggested). Next would be a bearing that is dirty/dry/blown. Open the box and hit all the bearings with some light bearing oil. Give it a shot. If that didn't seem to help, it is probably the pinions. Best fix if it is the pinions would be to get some regular pinions of the same size and pitch. Grind a flat spot on the motor shaft and bolt them up. If it is the pinions there is no sense in buying new motors that are going to do the same thing. What have you had to fix on your car for the last 3 weeks that required such heavy dis-assembly?
First time it crashed it was my fault, hit a car tire. Broke my front gearbox, had to fix it. 5 mins of testing after fixing it and putting the whole thing back together, rx battery ran outta juice right after hitting full throttle, lost steering, plowed into another tire and broke the new gearbox I put in. Installed new gearbox, took the whole car apart rebuilt shocks and diffs. Got it to the edge of my driveway, I let it idle, accidentally hit the off switch on my tx and had a runaway. Broke a lot of the front of the car, bent chassis and shock tower and broke my connecting rod and chipped the bottom of the piston.