R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray T3 2012
Thread: Xray T3 2012
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 11:37 AM
artwork
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Can you please explain what you think the problems are with the parts you mention as I don't see any problems compared with anyone elses (apart from the shocks, I think we might have had your opinion on those already )

Skiddins
Skiddins-

I used the word skimp on purpose...it is not that the parts on the car don't function I was more referring to the quality of the parts used in place of higher quality more durable materials that we should all except to see on the car. If the car came with aluminum shocks, everyone would be raving about them and would not be hoping that Xray would release plastic replacements. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so...

To add aluminum shocks to the car costs most drivers around $93.98.

The servo saver steering rack arms are plastic, which really surprised me to be honest. I figured they did this for a couple of reasons, with one being that they would not have as much play as it's aluminum friends. However this is not the case after a few runs it has just as much play as the aluminum server saver arms used on other cars. The other reason is so they could charge $38.99 to make them an option part.

Bumper brace is plastic and to replace it with a stiffer CF piece will cost you $20.99. Some people may not think this is needed, but is commonly included in other kits and can help support the bumper systems in the front end. This one is knit pick, but is included in many other kits.

Packs of shims to replace all of the plastic shims is about $25.50

The plastic spool does not really have a reasonable aluminum counter part, but to get a higher quality solution people are upgrading to Side Piece Racing out drives or they are using the Xray steel and aluminum versions. I personally like the composite out drives, but wish the spool itself was aluminum with composite out drives. Bottom line is that I see this as another skimp item. Tamiya, HB, Serpent, TOP, 3Racing are all using higher quality materials to build this part.

Turnbuckles for the kit can be hit or miss based on the manufacturer, but at a minimum the steering links need to be upgraded on the xray. Titanium or spring steel turnbuckles are included in quite a few kits at no extra up-charge.

The stuff I see above should not be option parts, they should be included in the base kit.

Notice I am not talking about parts that I see as reasonable upgrade parts...like aluminum spring cup retainers, ECSs, 50mm CVA shafts for the rear, carbon or Xtra-Hard Arms, split front blocks, and other things that are considered frivolous.

Base kit T3'12 $529.00
Aluminum Shocks: $93.98
Steering Rack: $38.99
Bumper Brace: $20.99
Shims: $25.50
Spool upgrades: $30.00
Ti Steering Turnbuckles: $15.00

So to get the car from stock up to the same fit and finish as other competition you would have to spend $753.46. Most people won't do this, but if you did, that is what you might have to spend to get the same level of finish that comes stock with the Tamiya 417X, Serpent S411TE, TOP Photon EX, AE TC6.1, Yokomo BD5, 3Racing Sakura XI-DH, and others. I know that some of these cars do not have the same quality of parts as the Xray, but you also don't have to add much out of the box to the other kits at a much lower street cost price.

Like I said, I like Xray, but in the same breath I think people have just come to accept the level of finish they get from the car. I just don't think it is that complicated. Xray Designs the next car, builds a costs to manufacture, and then trims the parts that push the car past their price point and adds profit. Everything else that does not fit in the bucket becomes an option. Pretty typical business model, but the other companies have figured out a way to include it in the base kit. Some companies have to sacrifice quality in some areas, but not all...

Sorry I was so long winded, but wanted to make sure I explained myself the best I could.

Last edited by artwork; 06-29-2012 at 12:09 PM.