R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - F1 Multi-Club Series - Aug-Oct 2012 - RCformula1.com.au Victorian F1 Series
Old 06-28-2012, 04:12 AM
RCformula1
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by WildManDriving
To open with I have not yet received my F1 nor can I say yet whether I can participate in all rounds but, I'll ask anyway. Is there a chance 1S battery packs would be allowed at a 2 point handicap? Also has anyone tried 1S in there F1 and what was it like?

A goose,
Michael.
Hi Michael

Interesting question. Not sure about this. A quick google search turns up a few left field racers running 1S in F1's. For example: rctech.net/forum/electric-road/350698-1s-lipo-f1s.html

The event is designed to be as open as possible so that anyone who wants to run can run. The advantage of 1s might be, and I say might because I've never tried it, that:

- the battery is 100g-150g lighter (approx half the weight of a 2S); and
- with half the voltage you could use a hotter motor while keeping it relatively controllable.

It's definitely not something that is mainstream. All of the overseas events run 2S as do the majority of clubs (the rcformula1.com.au website will be live in a day or two and has links to all of this info).

If we were to allow it I think we'd need to have an additional handicap for the 1S in addition to any motor handicap. Eg; 1S lipo might have an additional -2 handicap. Therefore a 1S with a 4.5 motor would be -2 for the battery and -2 for the motor = -4 total. Such a large handicap should take you out of trophy contention (which I think is fair given the technical and weight difference).

Another option is for you to run for fun but be ineligible for a trophy.

Interested to hear what others think. Discussion is healthy