R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Question on rough driving....
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 12:21 PM
305M3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tex1
I do not want to ask this to start a flame war. It is so I can obtain a general consensus as to how rules should be applied.

Top level pro race (just to be clear... ROAR Nats). Should the second place driver have a legitimate complaint about the last corner contact?

Fact. Phend never got into Ty on the last lap and even brake checked so he would not take him out coming out of the rhythm section.

In the last corner Phend clearly put his whole car in front of Ty and was under control.
Ty was under control as well.

Question - Does Ty have the right to punch Phend off the line and take the win?

The way I see it, it really does not matter if Ty did it intentional or not. The fact is Phend was under control and in the corner.

It is not a flame war. It is just a question.

With that being said... What a race!
TEX
Great question...

Some will state, 'rubbing is racing and it's part of the sport'. However, Ty's "bump" of Phend was similar to how I play Gran Turismo 5. I use the car in front of me for "brakes" or pushing them out of the way while maintaining the maximum amount of speed through a corner.

I'll have to watch again, but it looked like Phend was rolling through the corner, ON HIS LINE, when Ty bumped into him from behind, pushing him out of the turn/off the line and Ty was able to get through for the win.

I'm not saying this is what happened, or that Ty is a dirty driver, he's phenominal. Maybe Ty's brake point in that particular turn is later than Phend's, who knows. But the initial look, I admit that I said, "That's not right..!"

I believe in rules of the road. If you are in the lead, it is up to the passing driver to GO AROUND you, not through you. A passing driver should wait until the leader makes a mistake that takes them off the line and then I'd argue it's legit to pass on the line (b/c the leader is no longer there).

The bump during the last turn of the race was enough to push Phend off HIS line; therefore, I'd argue that it was not right...