R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Capricorn LAB C801 1/8 scale
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 12:01 PM
jensroland
Tech Apprentice

Dear DJ

While you are about to answer a question about clutch set-up, I thougt you maybe could extend your answer a bit.

I'm all new into 1/8, but have drove 1/12 for three years. So theres a lot to learn about nitroengines, break-in, tuning, clutch etc. The set-up of the car come more easily.

I got my C801 in late march, and it came with the normal black steel clutch, a red shoe and a spring measuring 1,98 in thickness, 12,1 in diameter and 11,1 in height. The manual says the spring should have number 2122, wich should equal the extra hard clutch spring. I have to dremel it a bit in both ends to get it to fit nicely in the spring stay and preload nut. All setup as stated in the manual (gab 0,5, preload 0,6, endplay 0,1). During break-in the shoe dusted a lot and wear all down within 1 to 1½ liter of fuel and engaged way too late.

I get a yellow shoe and a spring measuring 1,92-12,0-9,8 and it worked ok with a gab of 0,5 and a preload of 0,9 (it shold be a number 417 spring) - allthough there was some spin during acceleration, but it could for sure be me and my rookiedriving 1/8 and/or a low grib track. Most of the tracks here in Denmark are low to medium traction tracks.

I have got a complete reverse clutch from the first batch delivered end april, wich was with a alucolored alu clutch bell (hardcoated?) and a spring measuring 1,98 in thickness, 12,1 in diameter and 11,1 in height (Same specs as the spring delivered in my C801 kit with spring number 2122). I build the reverse clutch with the 417-spring and currently driving with a gab of 0,65 and a preload of 0,8-0,9. Endplay 0,1. The wear of the clutch shoe is very little, but the bell has worn 0.15 mm on 4 liter fuel ... I think its much, and the are 0,1 mm back in the bell before I cant shim it up anymore). The clutch shoe looks right with a slight brown color on it, but with the yellow color still visible throug it.
I have ordered a spring with hardness between the two springs to try the reverse clutch with this (Think it is number 417s), as I think the reverse clutch behave differently than the normal clutch ... engaging more smoothly with the same spring.

I have just received a complete reverse clutch more, but here the clutch bell is a black steel version (but still with the new beraring configuration) and a spring with the same measurements as my 417-spring. The steel version I welcome regarding to my wear on the alu version ... even it could be caused by a bad adjusted clutch from my side. But I cant figure out why the spring was changed, since the reverse clutch has been tested by teamdrivers before release.

Neverles - my question is:

How to set a clutch up for low traction tracks (I thing of a bit shorter gab and a little les preload and a bit softer spring) ... with gab, preload and springtype?

Is the correct rating in hardnes of the springs (from soft to hard) 417, 417s, 417sh and 2122 (standard, meduim (silvercolor), super hard and extra hard)?

And wich should be advicely used with the normal black steel clutch bell, the reverse alu clutch bell and the reverse black steel clutch bell?

Have capricorn tested with clutch spring washers, and could we espect these in the near future? I see some advantages within the possibilities to adjust the "springhardness" according to the combination of the number of thick and thin washers.

Kind regards and best wishes; Jens