R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 13.5 at the IIC is unboosted *sadface*
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 06:24 AM
tc3team
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by terry.sc
So why do all of these small advantages make a difference in blinky, but none of them make any difference in boosted?

If running a higher rated C lipo in blinky makes you go faster, it will do the same in boosted.
Tuning rotors that make a difference in blinky will also make a difference in boosted.
Ceramic bearings that make a difference in blinky will also make a difference in boosted.
Lighter bodyshells that make a difference in blinky will also make a difference in boosted.

Maybe it's more down to the driver than what ESC/motor/battery they have. If everyone is running boosted then you are all going to have the same amount of power, just like in blinky. Boosted doesn't make fast drivers even faster, or make average drivers fast. Boosted either adds one more layer of complexity at big meetings when drivers have to find the ideal ESC setup, but for club meetings everyone ends up with the same setups so you all end up with the same amount of power anyway.

Your argument against blinky seems to be that you don't like it because you are still behind the fastest drivers by the same amount as with boosted but you concede the blinky cars are easier and nicer to drive, how does that persuade anyone to choose boosted?

How do you somehow have extra speed over the other cars you are racing with when boosted, considering all the other cars you are racing against are also boosted? If the reason you have extra speed is entirely down to your boost settings then your argument for keeping boosted comes down to wanting to hang on to your personal advantage rather than wanting a more level playing field.

If you think your Turnigy pack is going to leave you further behind the fast guys with blinky, then it is also leaving you behind the fast guys in boosted. Remember when you are coming out of the corner your car is accelerating the same as in blinky until the boost kicks in, what will give you better acceleration in blinky will also give you better acceleration in boosted as well.
At the moment, I dont feel the need to spend to get in the A, I can do it just fine.

However, a blinky class will shift people into looking for extra power, myself included if everyone else arounds me does the same.

It is natural for racers to find speed/punch if they are lacking it. At the moment, I am not. But, blinky will slow the cars down - and that is the clubs aim... But I dont think that alone will stop people looking at their car and finding more power.

Our track is small - 10x15metres only, high 7,or low 8 second lap times.

So, any extra power/speed you can make use of in betwen the corners will be an advantage to those who dont have it,imo.