R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dirt_McGirt
Thank you everyone for the good advice. I think I am just going to keep it simple with only the basic mods noted above and just focus on the driving!
You never mentioned whether your car was an M03 or an 05. If it's an 05, the aluminum steering bits are a good upgrade, even if they are a little "pricey". If it's the M03, using a Kimbrough servo saver is worthwhile.

There are a lot of things you can do to the car to make it handle better, thus making it "faster", without the expenditure of a lot of $$$$$. Most of the really good Minis around here are pretty basic. We do spend a lot of time and effort on the shocks and spring combinations, ride height, camber, toe out etc. This stuff is as important as the driving except for those who are unusually skilled and can adapt their driving to fit the car. Most, like me, have to adjust the car to fit their driving "style".

My lack of driving skills is almost legendary around here, but I'm able to keep up with all but a few and still beat most. The difference is that my cars are just "tuned" to how I drive. Once you get the car to help you instead of the other way around, you'll understand.