R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Doing Away With Boosted....
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 04:49 PM
frozenpod
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Regarding unatural feel or having to constantly retune.
Some of the boost ESCs have very poor feel and throttle curve. One brand in particular with previous versions of software.

Others ESCs do not have bad feel. My ESC running boosted feels better than some other ESCs when running blinky, it is super smooth. The only difference is the throttle curve is a little more linear and a slightly easier to control inital throttle.

Needing to constantly retune indicates your tune is wrong, once the dynamic timing is setup correctly for maximum power at all rpm with a particularly motor you should in theory never have to retune. Given just about everyone in RC is a tinker to some level we will be occasionally making further adjustments trying to find the edge but that is part of the fun.

With either technology blinky or dynamic timing if the speed is too fast or too slow for the class the ESC blinky or boost is irrelevant. Change the motor turns to control the speed.

If you never have to lift with 1/12 and a blinky 17.5T then run a 13.5 or 10.5 if you want to stay blinky.

If the speed is too fast when running 13.5T boosted then run a 17.5T or 21.5T if you want to stay boosted.

As for those who say if you want to run boost run mod well I will tell you why I don't run mod.

I pretty much only run club days now not big events and whilst the lap time differences are not huge between 13.5T boosted and mod the power difference is. The wear on tyres and driving is 2-3 times higher when running mod compared with 13.5T boosted. There is also another aspect on tight technical tracks I no longer have the reaction times to run mod. On open flowing tracks I could run mod but on the tighter tracks where I race at 90% of the time I simply cannot react fast enough. Not to mention you will never come close to using all the power available.

I admit I am not the worlds best driver but I should point out that mod often doesn't have a class at these tracks often only 2 entries at most and they normal end up running with 13.5. Where as there will be 20 plus drivers in 13.5T boosted.

So I could run a class that often doesn't run and has more power than you can ever use or a class with lots of entires that has good speed and great competition not to mention affordable.