R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Doing Away With Boosted....
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 10:55 PM
CypressMidWest
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artwork
I am not a big fan of boost as you might be reading, because I think the difficulty of RC is at the lower revs not at the higher revs of the motors. Learning to control a motor that has more rip down low is what separates average drivers from great drivers. It doesn't take skill to hold a throttle for longer...it does take skill to control a 1,000 pounds of rip coming out of a corner. At least in my experience I prefer power to be linear and smooth from start to finish and I feel that more in the non boosted classes.
Obviously you don't run alot of pancar. 17.5 blinky 12th scale at MOST tracks is STRAPPED for the entire eight minutes. There is ZERO "throttle feel" when the trigger is clamped to the point of hearing the plastic strain under your grip.

17.5 blinky is honestly probably too slow for TC on a lot of tracks too. The reason 17.5 boosted times are close to Mod times in TC racing is because a TC can handle 17.5 boosted power, but a 4.0 in those things is insane due to the lack of grip afforded by the rubber tires. So your argument for throttle control as a sign of driver skill in spec classes is actually hurt by a blinky formula. A properly set-up boosted car has just as much bottom end as a blinky car, but also has the distinct advantage of being faster on the straight. That being said, you'd actually be on the throttle for a shorter period of time in boosted, because the car is fast enough that you actually have to lift........