R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - USVTA Woes
Thread: USVTA Woes
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Hexonox
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
okay Ill bite...

if the US VTA would re-think the rules as far as esc and motor...what would be the benifit?
The benefit in allowing/updating the current rule set on esc's lays in the premise of new participants. As mentioned previously; a new racer who does not prefer a Novak but already has an esc that was designed specifically for spec class racing. By keeping the rules the same because it benefits some; you (not directly you) alienate and essentially stunt growth. I as well as you have our personal beliefs on what works best for us; or what we have grown as racers with. Personally from what I have seen as this class has grown is that other esc's were "approved" to give the appearance of equality; but as technology progressed only Novak's equipment was upgraded and all the other "approved" esc's were disregarded. Just look at the list and chart the trend. About a month or so ago I posted a question if the new LRP SPX zero would be considered for USVTA approval. The response I was given was that "it bares too close of a resemblance to the standard SPX and that if someone wanted to; they could swap cases between the two esc's. Now please keep in mind this was dirctly after my 6th and final Novak esc had decided to go nuclear while inside my car with the power switch in the OFF position. At which point I decided that I was no longer going to race VTA until the rules changed. However I have found that I miss running VTA; but what I miss even more is the $600+ that I wasted on esc's and the time that I was not able to drive my car because i was waiting for warranty returns. On a side note; one would tend to think that a company that is gearing it's products for entry level racers might include a simple feature like reverse polarity protection ie. LRP and Tekin. Although I understand why an RS should not be approved for this class. And back to the nefarious types. What would stop someone from pulling the "GTB 2" sticker off the side of that esc and re-applying it an actual Kintic esc from which the GTB 2 cases was re-sourced? One last point on this very long winded rant: I currently race in the USGT class. In my car I have an LRP SPX Zero and a matching LRP X11 21.5 motor; a friend and close competitor of mine is using a Novak GTB 2x with a revtek 21.5 and we've proven that both set-ups are extremely close in overall performance. I just have ease of mind knowing that it's more likely that his will quit do to a random loss of magic smoke!!!