R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - USVTA Woes
Thread: USVTA Woes
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 06:14 PM
DARKSIDE
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
I guess I will attempt to answer this as best I can as to why, with my own opinion, to stay with current motor rules. I am no motor guru and know even less about esc's.

With the 2 motor options that are currently available I know this;
1) the stator core is the same,inductance values may vary
2) the stock rotor is the same, gauss values may vary
3) they are hand wound
4) they have the same wire for the windings
5) they have the same base sensor,although one is replaceable by the user
6) the SS version is limited to around 12-14 degrees of timing with no modifications to the sensor end (which can be done with a dremel)
7) the ballistic,when not exceeding the last line of the sticker, is 15 degrees of aditional timing
8) same mfg,same quality control specs, in theory both should preform the same
9) one is black, which IMO, will hold more heat, and one is silver which should be more radiant heat reflective

None of this however means that they are all the same in performance,for whatever reason, each motor will run differently.

Other motors of the same wind , 25.5, can have considerable more timing,either through physical adjustment of the ring or optional board assemblies which will equate to more rpm's and higher top speeds.

Other motors may have at least 5 different optional tuning rotors, some have even more.

Other motors made by the same OEM can and have been turned into hand built hybrids by mixing and matching components of similar construction.

I have participated in an un-regulated hybrid version of VTA and built a hybrid motor by mixing and matching different components, even contemplated spending the $150 for a "built motor" for the event(which, in hind sight, I should have). I personally don't want the headache or added expense.

Just my thoughts,maybe I am off base or biased with the equipment. I am, however content knowing that the guy who just yarded me down the chute and is .2 tenths quicker is running the exact same motor I am.

As far as the esc's, I have raced against ROAR listed speedo's and USVTA speedo's, I'll take the perceptual comfort in the USVTA list. The extra money from a potential high end ROAR listed esc, that I may or may not use in something else can be put towards entry fees when I travel. Just a personal choice and nothing else.

The above is my personal opinion, and in no way shape or form should be construed otherwise, for or against a equipment mfg, nor for or against what other clubs/tracks or series may so choose to promote VTA racing or participation.

Eric

very well spoken/typed