R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Doing Away With Boosted....
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 12:43 PM
James35
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can think of 3 big reasons why we should not get rid of boosted:
  1. It adds an additional way to cheat.
  2. It stifles future technology growth and removes possible future conveniences.
  3. Rapid rule changes are bad for the hobby and for manufacturers.

People are fully aware that dynamic (boosted) timing is faster/more efficient. Trying to push away, hide, or altogether ban dynamic timing technology opens up a new ways for cheating. Computer geeks would become the future cheaters. The speedos are controlled by software code. In fact, I know of 2 people who have already programmed their own custom firmware for 2 different types of speedos. This means you could create a custom firmware that gave blinky LED's but with a small amount (5 degrees for example) of dynamic timing. Heck, you could even write your code to activate 5 degrees only after I hit my brake 3 times (or similar sequence). Oh, and after the car is turned off, return to 0 degrees of timing just in case tech inspectors hook it up to a computer.

Having dynamic timing variables can be frustrating at times. But it will get easier in the future. My message is this. Have some patience. The same companies who brought you brushless technology and dynamic timing will be the same companies that bring new future speedo technologies that will provide some major conveniences like:
  • Boost by Amp draw instead of RPM ranges. <--- Ding ding ding... winner!
  • Detailed data logging to make it easier to see what’s happening and help you choose settings and even rollouts.
  • Automatic optimal timing setting based on your current run or your last runs.
  • Heat sensing technology which automatically reduces timing to make it impossible to burn up a motor. Imagine that!
  • Ability to define how long the race is and set a maximum temperature you are willing to finish with. (Imagine you are on your roof for 2-3 laps while being marshaled, your motor is now a tad cooler than the others. The speedo knows the clock and will increase the timing a little which helps you to finish as strong as possible.)
  • Ability to decide heat strategy like: “Go easy on my slippery tires at first, finish me strong!” or “Get me to the front early at all costs!” or “Give me optimal heat for the most number of laps”.

I’m sure manufacturers are already working on these kind of future technologies. If not, maybe they should hire me for consulting

Let the limiting factor be the motor and don’t tie the hands of the speedo companies so that they can continue to make our hobby more convenient, economical, and easier for new racers to join.

Additionally, as a manufacturer, I can tell you that if rules stay put for a while, we'd be more willing to manufacture cars/parts in higher quantities which would drop the prices, allowing more people to enjoy the hobby. RTR kits would be an option too, which can really help grow the hobby.