R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Doing Away With Boosted....
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 11:44 PM
SlowerOne
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni
I think it'd be great to get away from having specific boosted, blinky, and mod classes. Just run all mod and separate by body/wheel style (VTA, RCGT, etc.) I mean, who doesn't want to go fast? I know I do. The amount of rules created to slow cars down is surprising (to me, at least). I understand that a fast car is harder for a beginner to drive but no one is saying they have to drive it that fast, gearing, endpoints, expo, etc. can all be used to tune down a car and make it easier to drive. Less classes, meaning more people in fewer classes, will lead to A, B, C, and lower mains. When you have that many people racing together you invariably end up racing people the same speed as you. Part of the problem might be that some people need to come to terms with the fact that not everyone can be in the A-Main.

A class that's really picked up around here is the 1/8th GT electric. I believe some factors of its success are the openness of the rules. Any motor, battery, and ESC is allowed. We really only regulate the body, wheels, and drive-line. The other factors contributing to its success are it's a big car that looks closer to a real car when you drive it. Scale speed is slower, they have more body roll in the turns, and you get a lot of tire squeal. Plus, they are just as easy to drive (if not easier) and fit just fine on a 10th scale track.

Sorry I went a little off topic there
If I'm reading the first paragraph right, you're suggesting that everyone goes into the same class. OK, how are you going to feel when a beginner in the heat pulls out in front of you and totals your car and his? If you want to know what it is like to race slow and fast cars in the same race, just look at any video of Le Mans as the LMP1 cars try to pass the GT3 cars.

This idea is madness for any number of reasons. First, the fast and slow cars in the same heat (clubs don't have enough entrants to seed heats to avoid that) and second how many people do you think will stay in the sport when they are beaten by faster cars every week, week after week?

Of course 8th electric has picked up. From your description the car is easy to drive because set-ups aren't on the edge yet and relative to the weight of the car and grip of the tyres, they are slow! I think you just proved our point about classes that give slower cars being more popular, but for the reasons we usually find in off-road - relatively heavy cars with relatively low grip!