R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Capricorn LAB-C01
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 02:44 AM
TomB
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GREGORY!
i had read that a narrowed front and rear car handling better than a wider car.is it wrong??
on a slippery track a narrow track width will give you more grip. You will find that the narrower you go the more grip you will get. A wider track width spreads the weight of the car across a larger area meaning that there is less weight per MM on the tyre. Narrower track places a larger amount of weight on the surface of the tyre.

think of it this way: when you are on thin ice you are recommended to spread your weight across the ice. if you stand and step standing up you are placing a larger amount of weight on one spot.

with rc cars it is the same. Narrower track width places more weight on the surface of the tyre.

wider track width is used on high grip tracks to avoid traction rolling as it spreads the weight across the surface of the track, thus reducing grip and twitchyness.

correct me if i am wrong but a narrower track also raises the roll centre, which in itself causes roll which produces more grip.