R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI Sprint 2 Mods
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Marv
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Steering Slop Fix – Loose Ball Cups

Everyone has their own voodoo. This is my voodoo. This is what works for me.

Click on thumbnails for larger pictures.

Steering Slop – Loose Ball Cups

Loose Ball Cups –
The EASIEST FIX METHOD = Punch out 5/16” diameter disks (or cut 5/16” pieces) of a Zip Lock Bag.
Install one disk (or piece) centered over each ball studs.
Carry spares = nothing lasts forever.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Ball Cup Baggie.jpg
Views:	10187
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	926883

OR

Another surefire way = use RPM Heavy Duty Ball Ends.

They come in different colors.

Scroll down to the 4-40 Ends. That's what the S2S uses.

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...c/steering.htm

NOTE 1: RPM Ball Cups – When you install these they will be TIGHT. One way to free them up a bit without compromising their integrity is to use some Powdered Graphite inside them, attach each end separately and work the ball cup around the ball stud repeatedly. Knock out excess graphite afterwards.

NOTE 2:THE RIMS MAY RUB ON THE RPM BALL CUPS –
Use RPM 80202 (6mm) Hex Nut Adapters on the front axles.
These will also give the front wheels a wider stance & give you a tighter turning radius.

Only my left front wheel was rubbing.

Name:	1 Ball Cup Rub.jpg
Views:	7530
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	926884

I'm using RPM 80202 6mm Hex Nut Adapters on the front with the zero offset vintage wheels so the rub was near the edge of the rim = I took a file to my RPM Ball End & I lightly sanded the inside of the wheel where it was rubbing.
I also marked the top of the ball end with a magic marker afterwards.

Name:	2 Ball Cup Rub.jpg
Views:	5504
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	926885

Problem solved.

No problem on the rears / Here I use the 3mm offset vintage wheels with the oem HPI Hex Nut Adapters & I'm still using the oem HPI Ball Cups with a Zip Lock Bag disk in each ball cup to take up the slop.

NOTE 3: The RPM 80202 6mm Hex Nut Adapters WILL NOT work on the axles IF you are using anything other than Standard ZERO OFFSET RIMS. Especially 31mm Rims with a 3 offset.

IF you’re running VTA rims do NOT use the RPM 6mm Hex Nut Adapters on the rear - the tires will rub on the body.

*Additionally, the configuration of the RPM 80202 6mm Hex Nut Adapters when compared to the HPI Hex Nut Adapters differs slightly on the mating end. The HPI oem hex nut adapters protrude a bit to bear on the inner bearing race. The RPM adapters do not have this protrusion. Therefore, when tightening the axle nuts after shimming, care must be take to not over tighten = you will bind the axle.

If you want a tighter turning radius still - you can set your front toe to –1° and sand or file off 50% of the hub stop on the C Blocks – Don’t forget to reset your end points using the lower front shock eyes as your reference point.

NOTE 4: If you use the 6mm adapters and you're running a VTA body chances are may have to set the body higher on the posts so the front tires don't rub.

Last edited by Marv; 06-27-2014 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Info updated