R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Why not use a $15 radio in a $400 car kit?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:40 AM
ChuckG
Suspended

Originally Posted by MarkA
Let's try to stay more on topic and less with the personal attacks guys.

It's Ok on RCtech to say a radio is cheap when it is by definition cheap and even it's defenders admit it has lag and issues, it's not Ok to do what filled page 3. Sarcasm, attempts at making a point about RC stuff through humor, also Ok. Just plain attacks, not cool.

Thanks to Wildcat for pulling the thread back in the direction it should be.
Thanks for saying that MarkA, and thanks to Wildcat for adding his own opinion without feeling the need to attack others for theirs.

But to get back to the original poster's question:

Originally Posted by Toat
I'm going to ask a stupid nub question because I'm a nub, and if you don't ask the stupid questions you'll never know the answer.

So what are your thoughts on the question in the title? A $150 radio won't make the car faster, so why spend the extra money? Aren't all 2.4ghz created equal?
2.4ghz is just a frequency, no different than the 27mhz or 75mhz FM and AM radios used back in the day. But, now as then, there is more to a radio and the quality of the rest of the components of a radio than just its frequency.

Look at it this way, if you purchase a cheap cellphone for $15 does it do all the things that a $200 iphone will do? Of course not. Can you "feel" the quality of the more expensive unit over the less expensive model? Of course, and if not then you just don't know any better. Does the el cheapo allow you to make calls? Yes, but that is about it.

Same deal with comparing a $15 radio to a higher-price, better quality radio.

End of the day, the one endearing question keeps running through my head. "It is one thing if you have a $150 RTR that you are beating around the backyard. But if you are going to make an investment of $400 into your rc car, why would you risk controlling your higher priced model (via your only connection between you and the machine) by purchasing the cheapest $15 radio you can get your hands on?"

To me that would be like going to a Ford dealership with your mind on buying a new $55,000 Shelby Mustang, and requesting they put the tires off a Focus on it to save a few dollars. Can you still drive the car? Of course. Would you take it racing at a track day like that? Not if you don't want to embarrass yourself.