R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2012 R.O.A.R. Electric On Road Paved Nationals
Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 PM
robk
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by old_dude
2012 carpet nationals: WGT 25 cars - VTA 17 cars. Both mod classes had less than 20 cars each.
There were 7 classes run at that event
Same source
That is why I pointed out it was more of a carpet class. Outside of Cleveland, I haven't seen it at a lot of club tracks.

Originally Posted by old_dude
The class has grown on the carpet tracks like 1/12 scale did. If you don't have a good carpet program in the area then it is quite likely that you won't have WGT cars. There is no reason that they couldn't run on any track that a 1/12 scale can as they have a higher spec ground clearance. As you go north it gets tougher and tougher to have a outdoor program as the pavement suffers in the winter. I only know of two pavement facilities in Ohio, yours and Toledo. WGT was new in 2008 and has only been run at two paved nationals which were both on the east coast. Our WGT car count has gone up steadily since the class was introduced. This year it was easily our largest local class for club races.
It has never been popular even on carpet in WI/IL/IN as far as i have traveled. There would be a few cars sometimes a club races (and that was a couple years ago when they first came out) or 6 or 8 at a series race, but it's not big around here.

I'm not trying to say it's a bad class, I'm sure it's fun. If 1/12 was not mandated, I'm not sure if that would be run based on typical turnout. As I said earlier, there is a surprising turnout for 17.5 1/12 at the host track already. There hasn't been any WGT cars though.