R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)
Old 05-20-2012, 07:55 AM
hana166
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just a note for something I found maybe it will help someone

I found my car not feeling so good for a few weeks and decided for a major rebuild. I found that after some (bigger) crashes one leaf spring bent slightly. Very difficult to notice. I think it is important to check regularly as it seems to have a big impact on the laptime, as I replaced it and went seriously quicker immediately

I notice a number of drivers using o rings on the suspension, to remove slack, I say this should be unnecessary in most cases if you set the preloads perfectly

After replacing the damaged spring I bend the end so there is a tiny, tiny gap to SPR02, so there is no pre-tension in the system when the suspension is at rest.

Then set the droop and get them identical L-R. Then wind out the preload until the slack appears. Balance the preloads by turning 1/6 at a time until both sides have the tiniest, but equal amount of slack, then add 1/6 turn, you should find the suspension return onto the downstop perfectly, but of course now the preload is the same L-R.

So when you set the ride height just turn exactly the same amount both sides so you know where you are when making adjustments

Naturally the car needs to be balanced L-R on pins etc to begin with

I found the slack appeared when the car had too little preload on opposite corners, the car settled flat so you think all is well but the digital scales showed this up

I find now the car extremely consistent from corner to corner and particularly easier to get on the power on exit as it pulls so straight. It pulled straight before, so its difficult to explain, but there is somehow more confidence to drive at the limit when the preloads are matched very precisely