R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Project xx-24
Thread: Project xx-24
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 08:48 PM
NitrousBIG
Tech Regular

Default Project Losi XX-44

A few years ago I acquired a xxx-4 and started to mess around with it and came up with a plan to fix the problem of high diff out drives and then correct the geometry problems that plague the car on rough tracks. But I knew the car would be under the knife for a while and wanted something else to race while doing all of the machining.

I was thinking of getting another xxx-4 but decided to diversify started looking for a xx4 While searching for a good used car I discovered most of the parts I would need at my LHS, which my parents happen to own. Once I started assembling the pieces I couldn't leave well enough alone and started to modify.

I like the suspension setup on the 22 (I have one of these too) and noticed the two cars share a lot of the same geometry. So I started to graft on select parts from the 22 and other cars.

I installed the 22 front arms and caster blocks with the xxx-4 steering blocks. Then I got to work getting the shocks on the back side of the arm. They just fit! But it was a few hours of screwing around on the milling machine to get it to fit.

The thing I hate most about electric cars is the electronics double sided taped to chassis. This makes cleaning impossible. I also never liked the steering servo sanding up in the car. So I cut a plate mounted the servo, esc and rx then this whole assembly gets bolted to the chassis.

Then for the back I didn't want to use the 22 arms because the mounting would require making new mounts. The rear arms off the xxx-4 just happen to be exactly the same length as the 22 rear arms. So I paired this with the CR hubs which are almost exactly the same as the 22 rear hubs. Then I made the standoffs and the camber plate/shock tower mount. Then I mounted the 22 mid engine rear tower to the plate. These parts aren't done yet I am still making adjustments and finishing the pieces.

The last picture illustrates my problem. My CV's off my xxx-4 are too short. Does anyone know of any CV's that are a bit longer that might work with this combination?

Last edited by NitrousBIG; 08-22-2012 at 03:54 PM.