Thread: MTX 5
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 05:32 AM
mick8488
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default MTX5

Hi Guys,

Finally found this great thread about the MTX5!

However, after reading a few pages of it so far, it seems like this gear stripping issue is a real problem (obviously, right?).

However, I can report that I haven't had any problems with my car so far. I run on a small track in Cairns (that's a small city in northern Australia for our international friends - great holiday spot), which is always dirty and chock full of rocks and other nasties, but no stripped gears. I only had a few issues with the clutch spacing (my own fault) and a bit of debris stuck in the top end carb needle causing flameouts. Now that I've sorted that out, she's singing a good tune down the front straight

One thing that might make my car an exception is the fact it's a 2012 edition MTX5, which I understand incorporated a few fixes into the design. However, I have also noticed a lot of chassis flex when engaging the throttle servo. The difference is that the whole engine and 2-speed clutch assembly move/flex as one unit, so the mesh I believe stays intact during running. I'll keep you posted on how I go, but maybe I got lucky, I'm not sure yet. On a related note, my pinion gear mesh is slightly offset, and pointed towards the spurs. This gave me the best mesh and tightest tolerance between both gears. I am running a 2010 Nova Plus-12 3sct (purple head), so the fit may be a bit different because it's an older engine. I'd be keen to hear from others about their experiences with mounting the engine.

Also, does anyone have any opinions on the Zeppin Racing CNC 3.2mm MTX5 Carbon Chassis? I'm considering one of these for future use, seeing as carbon fibre doesn't bend or tweak like aluminium. Heat dissipation could be an issue though.

And finally, any thoughts on the Font Solid Axle Set (Spring Steel) from A Plus. What diff setup are most guys using at the moment?

Cheers,
Mick