Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 05:45 PM
cwoods34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
Thanks

Everyone likes a different feel in their car, and high rear RC with a low front RC has a very different feel than the opposite or when the RC are fairly close. Having said that I personally do prefer the feel of the car when the roll centers are closer than further apart. I have found that when the RC get too far apart when running on high grip carpet, cars has a much higher tendency to traction roll as well. Typically once I find a balance of Roll centers I like, I don't vary the inboard upper link spacers by more than 1mm, and most often only a 0.5mm. As I shared in an earlier post for asphalt I do run a significantly higher RC both front and rear to generate more lateral grip, but if I ran that setup on carpet the car would traction roll.

I can't wait to get to the reedy race to dial in a setup for that awesome norcal track. I will be there this weekend doing some testing.

cheers.
M
I liked 15.2/15.0 springs for carpet, and I tried the same setup on a barely medium bite parking lot last weekend. I wound up taking 1mm from each inner camber link, but the car was a bit pushy entry and exit, and a touch loose mid-corner. I think going to a 16/16.5 spring up front would help immensely. I can't believe that the car reacts so great to 1 or 2 setup changes going from high grip carpet to a parking lot, and still being hooked up.