R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car
Old 05-09-2012, 05:37 AM
macdude
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yogii
Maybe my app is wrong for calculating this. I have an app that is call "GEAR WIZARD" Toe Soft R/C car Gearing Wizard. I purchased it through the app store. It gives you car and make to choose from. What gearing are we talking, what pitch are we talking about? I know that with a 48P, (PITCH) 69T Spur and a 36T Pinion I will only be at 3.83.
Know I can go to a 39T pinion (48P) that will get me to 3.54. Wouldn't this heat up my motor? Wouldn't this also make me slow at the bottom? because how tall it is? Please give me gears 64P and 48P to get. When I talk ratio it's final drive ratio per car. Is that the same your saying? I'm just asking to make sure.
Thank you
They are talking about final drive. I would not worry about getting into the mid 3 for FDR. If you are getting to max speed on the straight, then you might think about lowering your FDR, but only if you are able to decrease your average lap. I found that driving with a 3.9 or 4.0 ratio was very hard. What I did was run a ballistic 17.5 that has a little more mechanical timing than some other motors. My FDR started at 6.0. What I found is that my average lap was faster with the higher FDR. Don't expect to be ballistically fast down the straight, but I did not have to slow down for the sweeper, which allowed me to carry more speed entering the infield. If I was a little better driver maybe I could have made up for the softness in the infield with a better set up on the car, but overall the extra speed on the straight made almost no difference in lap time.