Thread: Tamiya TB-03
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 PM
EB Racer
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default TB 03 is the choice

Originally Posted by maxepower
It's interesting you say that because with the set-up I have on the TB03 doesn't seem to rotate through the corners as quick. The TA05 rotates very quickly. I'm running a spool on both cars but the TB-03 pulls very hard out of the corners which can give the impression that it is rotating very quickly but it's just the responsive drive train with shaft that occurs when you pull the trigger coming out of the corner. I try not to go full throttle until the car is going straight so that is what may cause the mid-corner push for me.
The TB-03 has always seemed quicker but the TA-05 is easy to drive in the corners and very consistant.
I'm confused on what block combination you said to try in the front. Right now I'm using C blocks in the front with slight kick-up in the front block of .5mm. I might take the spacer out of the front and allow the car to dive more into the corners. Then maybe move the steering turnbuckle forward hole to increase the response even more.
Saturday I'm running carpet so this could change everything because all I said about the cars handling was based on outdoor asphalt. I'm still experimenting with tire and insert combo for carpet, so this may change my thinking on set-up.
I hope all this makes sense to you. I'll let you know my results after Saturday. Then maybe back to asphalt on Sunday!
Isn't RC cars a blast!
I run with Max as often as I can, and has been too long since my last visit to Tamiya . I have gone through two TA-05's and a TB-03. After rebuilding the TB with every hop-up with limited exceptions, and building up the car with fresh suspension, spool, shock rebuild kit, etc, this car was top-shelf. I am running a Novak GTB with the old SS 17.5 BL system. This should not be competitive at all, but I think the car has earned its respect on the track.

The question in my mind is what will the TB-04 be like? The downside of the TB is the weight. I am running all alloy hardware, and even with a lighter servo, and a high C low capacity battery, the car is a pig on the scale. Not a big deal because I get close to the minimum, and the car is still very responsive. I'd like to be able to drive the car with both one-ways on 17.5 power. Having brakes gives a lot of confidence, but one-ways force a smooth line.

I have since sold all of my belt cars, and I even buck the mini-system by driving an M-06 while all others drive the M05. Maybe our passion for the TB-03 is a cult calling, but the car works, and put me on the GT-3 podium a couple years back at TCS.

See ya.