R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Spec/Handout Speedo thoughts
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 08:26 PM
gdcopbdcop
Tech Addict

what is the major problem when going to a major race today? the major problem, as i see it, is with the companies that provide the motors to the races.

some motors are better than other motors. we all know that. but in this day and age where the "Stock" motor classes are 17.5 non-boosted, the "best" motors are not available to everyone equally.
Why do i say that? it's easy, really. last week, i went to a local track to get ready for this years Reedy Race of Champions. My car was really down on power. I talked to the owner of the company that sponsored last years 17.5 non-boosted class. After that conversation, i purchased one of his motors at the shop. the owner of the motor company checked the new motor on his motor checker, and it topped out at 42,000 rpm. i commented on the high number of rpm's, and he told me that yes, it was good, but the motors that he provided to his "team drivers" were better. i asked how much better, and he said, typically, his "team" motors revved up to 48,000, 49,000 rpm.

How can we, the non-team drivers compete with that? We are over 1/2 of a lap behind before the race even starts.

The answer is, we cant.