R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent S411
Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Martin Crisp
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BAD007SUZUKI
Martin, i look forward to hearing more about this issue with the new shock as i am looking to get a team edition for a 3rd car. did you drill a small hole in the caps to make the shocks "dead"? also , can you give me an idea what you were running for setup for that race? mostly downstops, camber, ball stud shims, hardness of parts, and ride height. thx. a small group of us ran at r/car in indianapolis last week. between that track and our local track we have pretty good sweepers. knowing more about setup you used with the new kit/shocks would help a ton. thanks!
The alloy caps for the new shocks already have a bleeding hole so you don't need to drill a hole in the plastic portion. I was able to et the shocks to feel dead without drilling any holes. I think getting the shocks to feel the way I like them will take some more testing than I had time to do during that weekend. I actually ended up switching to the old shocks for part way through the qualifiers just to see if it was the shock package causing my traction roll issues. The car continued to traction roll even with the old shocks so it was not the new shocks causing the traction roll issues.

The next thing I would have changed was my front roll center as I was running a higher front roll center than I normally do, to get the car to rotate hard off the corner under power. Paul C, comment to me after the main that my car looked like the front was staying flat and the rear was rolling over too much...which for sure is what was causing the traction roll. he thought maybe my front springs were too hard, but I ran the same springs front and rear (hpi silver). I believe it was my front roll center being too high. I normally run 5mm of inboard spacers on the front, but I was running 3-4mm. Most certainly that is what was causing the traction roll as I was running 4mm inboard on the rear as well, which explains what Paul was able to see.

I normally run a softer spring like the serpent whites, but I was trying to maximize corner speed by not allowing the chassis to rub, which is why I tried the hpi silver. I just ran out of time to find the right setup with the new ideas I was trying (i.e higher front roll center and harder springs and less rear toe).

I think my Canadian champs setup would be a very good setup for that track. It can be found on the serpent site. Perhaps I should have just ran that, but I always like to keep trying new things to see if I can improve the lap times.