R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Schumacher Mi4
Thread: Schumacher Mi4
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 04:49 PM
grippgoat
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bdortch
I will say, I like the look of the car. However, how easy and convenient is it to work on? I am thinking about stuff like changing the top links from longer to short or vice versa - you have to install a whole new link plate...
For the link plates, check out the Smokem ones. They have three pairs of holes so you can do different lengths without changing plates.

Diffs are harder to get out with the new long top deck, because you have to remove the whole top deck. However, you don't have to mess with the shock tower, and shouldn't have to mess with the camber links, unless you've got them reall long/low. It can sometimes be hard to get the spool out around the steering.

Everything else on the car seems as easy as everything else out there.

Also, how is the steering feel with the steering unit mounted to bulkheads? How does it compare the feel of a more traditional steering set being mounted on chassis? Is there an option available to flip servo and run a more conventional steering setup?
There's the twin-point steering set. It adds weight and makes it a lot harder to get the spool out. It changes the feel, but I don't think it's really necessary. The CXL kit steering is good enough for Hofer. He does mount his to the chassis with spacers instead of the bulkheads, though.

What are the characteristics of the suspension mounts being on the bulkheads versus the chassis?
Never driven a car with chassis-mounted arms. You can't easily change hinge pin height on the Schui. This could be an issue if you run unusually tall/short tires. There are optional aluminum hinge pin mounts that let you do it, but they're spendy and heavy.

And, how is the build quality? I am coming from Xray so, I have been spoiled.
I haven't built an Xray, but the build quality on my Mi4LP was flawless. Everything fit absolutely perfectly.

-Mike