R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What esc motor combo are ppl running in 1/8 buggy
Old 04-17-2012, 09:14 AM
ovalracer1m
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by midwestcajun
from what I have heard...yes. I'm no expert and have never been to the factory but the rumor is that the HW is an Orion knock off. They look exactly the same and comparing the two physically it would seem so. Not 100% on the hardware internally but others say that they are equal. They have the exact same interface on the lcd programming box just different stickers. I've heard great things about the Tekin combo as well. The customer service with Tekin is going to be highly superior to HW....but at $80 a pop if my ESC fry's then it will just be a replacement purchase instead of sending it back...but i've seen more Tekins melt than HW's so I'm hoping that won't be an issue...we shall see.
lol, well i wouldnt say that a HW is a Orion knockoff since HW makes the Orion esc for Orion. I know they do differ a bit internally comparing the 2 but from what i have heard hobbywing makes it for Orion to there specs. I have have run both and cannot tell even a slightest difference. With the orion you are paying for the name, little beefier internals, and a couple nice added features externally ( capacitor cover, switch, etc).

+1 to Tekins customer service, very hard to beat. Agreed 100% on even if you were to have an issue with HW, for the price it still a great buy.