R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Spec/Handout Speedo thoughts
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 08:57 AM
sosidge
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bishop
I often wonder if maybe we would at least reduce some motor of the month games, if someone would at least spec a maximum/fixed amount of timing allowed to be built into a motor?.

Though even saying that I realize it's an ask to do, but just maybe it would close down one variable a little, or enough to count.
The issue with deciding to specify a fixed motor timing (or tighter rotor rules) is that you render almost every motor on the market obsolete overnight. Manufacturers wouldn't like it and most racer's wouldn't like it either.

With the ESCs you could just about get away with a big change like the "blinky" rules since 90% of ESCs have updateable firmware, or had fixed timing anyway.

I think tighter motor rules would be a good thing (the old brushed stock motors never had adjustable timing or alternative strength magnets), but it is one of those "tough decisions".

Of course, a "spec" class bypasses these issues altogether - and if "spec" powertrains become the norm, nobody will be buying the adjustable-everything motors and ESCs anyway.