R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Spec/Handout Speedo thoughts
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 07:16 AM
oldrcr
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Hi,

I have had an idea that I have floated occasionally that might have some merit, not that the handout motor with the spec'ed speedo won't work to some degree, this just attains it and allows racers to use what the already have. I am all for this type of thing in the stock class. My idea would also lessen the battery war part of it as well. What if the manufacturers were able to have a rev limiter mode in the speedo and you combined that with a fixed max FDR. This might have to vary depending on track size. This would set a maximum RPM that any motor would produce, and with the fixed FDR you would have a maximum top speed any car could attain. When I say any motor, that means you could run any wind, but all the cars would hit the same top speed. Yes, you could run some wind that gave you more punch, which when driven properly with a proper set-up would improve lap times, but at a non ballistic top speed that a mod would have. Also, variable timing in ESC's could be used and learned by drivers as well. This would train drivers that set-up and driving, with an emphasis on throttle control, is what wins. Guess what, the drivers that master this, are now ready for what it takes to drive a mod car. It is training ground for the next level, without the carnage and cost associated that too much top speed brings.

Another method that might be able to be implemented to limit the RPM would be a devise that can be put inline between the ESC sensor wires and the motor, that does the regulating. It could then be manufactured to limit to whatever any governing body would like to have as the fixed RPM. A standard should be established.

A side benefit of this would be that extra battery voltage would not play a role in RPM anymore, so playing games to get a bit more voltage out of batteries would also be a non factor.

Thanks EA for bringing this to the table, whether my idea or just the idea of a handout happens, I think this will be good. Close racing is always more enjoyable.

-Alex

Last edited by oldrcr; 04-17-2012 at 07:42 AM.