R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 01:01 PM
cdwilliams1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Someone else mentioned it so I'll bring it up again. Just WHY do you have a need for larger capacity batteries ?? I'm curious what class would require much beyond 5000mah. Big C ratings have been proven , for the most part, to have little effect in VTA and thats a non issue as they're not regulated in VTA.
I think your to hung up on the performance point. The bigger picture is cost effectiveness for racers AND for newbies and the halting of the "battery of the week" syndrome(or motors and esc's) that has plagued TC to the point where people were always playing the "gotta keep up with the Joneses" game. The inevitable happened.... many people stopped playing all together. These rules are a huge benefit to the class. As for "fixes"...you missed the point. UPDATES are different. A fix implies there was a problem. There was no real problem with the esc list. The manufacturer simply updated the product line.
I hope these comments are helping you understand and you'll be part of VTA . At this point though I should think it's obvious that you won't change things based on your argument. The greater population sees VTA for the value it's always tried to offer. Ultimately only YOU can decide whether your in or out. Nuff said !

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, and I'm not in favor of changing the rules.... but I think you are misrepresenting what he is saying. You said you think he's hung up on the perfomance point when he repeatedly stated that wasn't his concern.

He didn't say anything about performance or "keeping up with the jonses". He's asking why he has to lay out more money. Time and time again when this question comes up in the thread, that seems to be the basis of the question.

The standard answers are always given, just like they were this time.... "we don't want this to turn into TC with people chasing better gear"..... "we want to keep this inexpensive, just buy a used pack from people that upgrade"... "there are plenty of choices available from distributors just go buy one"... "I think if you go read all the prior messages you'll see why we chose this"... "The class is really growing at my track so our way must be right"....

Frankly, all those answers are unrelated to the OP point and are basically bull to the point he's making. The fact is, the cheapest battery is the one that you already own. And if the one you own doesn't give you any performance advantage, it's hard to hear all these other arguments that don't address what you brought up at all.

The fact is, VTA is a narrow class that makes you buy new equipment. It's not a budget class, it's not a class that leverages existing financial value. You're set off with a TC chassis to go hunt down a parts list and all your other gear goes on the shelf. If you can find it used, than great, but that's by no means guaranteed.

When you're first getting into this, it's a hard pill to swallow. You're paying more to go slower. I had this problem and it was hard to wrap my head around it. I mean, I had a LRP SPX Zero speedo. It's a full-time blinky speedo with no boost. But its not allowed. It is no different than a GTB2 performance wise, but I still had to go shopping.

Now that I've fully bought into it, I love it.... but make no mistake... none of these arguments held water with me when I started building up my ride - and they still don't. I just had to change my perspective that VTA is like any other class, and other than reusing your TC chassis you are starting over. Frankly, I feel that some of the forum members here are really newbie-hostile and just dismissive of newcomers with a "my way or the highway" approach.

If you want to convert these people sitting on the fence into VTA enthusiasts, there needs to be a better way to frame this debate. You need to sell VTA for the fun time and large class it is and acknowledge that it requires significant buy-in. It sucks that you can't reuse gear and you need to help people over that hump. Once they get in, they'll love it.... but you do have to acknowledge that obstacle the rule list creates. I mean you see it come up again, and again, and again....

Anyway, just my two cents. I love VTA but I can see where these guys are coming from.