R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - OS TR engine thread
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2004, 07:14 AM
Rick Vessell
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It's good to see that so many of you are pleased with the new engine. I too ran the R-Spec at the Texas Biggie and have been running it locally this summer. Ron has had good success with it as well. My engines are box stock and still run with more expensive ROAR and 5 port engines locally.

As for tuning, don't tune solely by temperature. The engine must "sound" and carb correctly. You can tune by a max temp if you wish to protect your engine but, the max for any given engine is dependent on many things. If you have a higher air temp, the engine will run hotter at max power. If the air is cooler, the reverse is true. Humidity affects things as well, so does weather - cloudy, sunny, etc. I always tune my engine for max power and check the plug to confirm the engine is not too lean. I then check the temp to have a reference point.

I almost never touch the "mid-range needle" The mid-range is not a needle anyway, it's the spraybar. If you move it you affect the ENTIRE throttle range from idle up to WOT. The only time I touch it is during break in IF the engine is running especially rich across the entire range and the other needles are close to "normal" settings. I adjust my high speed for best power and then tune the low speed for best accelleration. The engine should settle back to idle from WOT quickly without run-on. Let the engine idle for 10-15 secs. and then go back to WOT, the engine should not hesitate or stumble but clear out easily and accellerate hard.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your O.S. power!!

Socko