R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Schumacher SupaStox GT12 circuit racer
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 10:53 AM
terry.sc
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SteveM
Looks interesting and well made. However, I don't understand why they would use bushings up font and there doesn't seem to be a diff of any kind. The proprietary foam wheels and spur gears has me taking a pass and I haven't seen 32P gears on electrics in decades either. They should have used standard wheel hexes and standard mini rubber rims and tires as sold by HPI and Tamiya.
The idea is to keep the class cheap, and the cars have been developed from the first ones made in the 80s so the class is designed around a simple and tough chassis. All the current cars in the various classes are made by Mardave

The wheels and tyres used are the standard fitment for the current class which is pretty popular in the UK, over here the Mardave fitment wheels and tyres are much more readily available than any mini wheels and tyres. They are designed to run indoors on carpet and have been raced for 25 years on foams, so not much point in designing them to fit rubbers on them.

The reason for 32dp gears is that some of the Mardave classes have plenty of hard contact so 32dp gears are a necessity. See here for an example
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The 32dp gears make sure they will actually last a race without being destroyed like 48dp gears are. There will be alternative 48dp gears and a differential as upgrades if necessary for the faster classes such as circuit racing.