R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class
Old 04-11-2012, 09:05 AM
aarcobra
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
Out of deference to Ned, he's probably doing like I am, running off 30 yr old memories. Running the Toledo club back in the day was probably...interesting. Upwards of a hundred drivers show up for a Midwest race, and 90-95 of them are no problem, they pay their money, get thru tech and all is well. But then you get the few that are underweight, running a questionable body, odd exhaust, and then proceed to argue every single point tho they've never read the rules (and in some cases probably didn't know rules existed in the first place.) I've seen ppl argue that because their car came with a 150 cc tank, tho the rules say it's supposed to max at 125, that they should be allowed to run it regardless, and a guy showed up once with I think a Serpent suspension car (and there were no other such cars at the time) and insisted on being allowed to race it (which he did, but if he wasn't such a bad driver we'd have DQ'd him because he was driving over the dots and we'd get hung up on the things with our pans.) Superstock used to require a .202 bore for the carb, and some guys would "lose" theirs, or it'd be just a hair over, and so forth. So in a way Ned does have a point, as their is a difference between direct drive and belt, and given how ungainly ROARs rules are in 10th scale, for instance, he made a gut call given his experience in having to do so...quite understandable. On the flip side, I'm happy I'm allowed to run, and should it turn out I've any unfair advantage of any sort, I'll be happy to make changes as required. Thanx all for your patience.
Thanks Phil, you make good points and I certainly remember those kinds of things happening!

As I mentioned in past posts, my involvement in the pan class resurgence started with conversations after Lon's Classic Pan seal failed to take hold. Joe Patrick and Matt Taylor, were messing with VIntage Pans at the first club race last year. Lon got involved and the brain-storming sessions (Lots of brain farts involved!) Got around to the difficulties in finding tires, clutch parts, etc. and the Classic option looked more practical.......

Again, my first intention and preference, is to have a Vintage pan car class, not the Classic class. I was convinced, and I believe rightly so, that for the Pan class to have a chance Classic was the way to go. I bought one, don't really like the idea of basically being "forced" to run the same car as everybody else, but without Garen and Motonica, we would not even be having this discussion!! (Now I have a DFX, looks cool, but if something breaks I will have to either make it or shelve it!!! ;-))

As far as running Vintage and Classic together, I mistakenly got the impression that the Classics were what the class was intended for and pans would be allowed as an exhibition class...I was mistaken...sorry 'bout that.

I quess only time will tell what works!

Ned