R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TC3 Forum
Thread: TC3 Forum
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 10:47 AM
malkie
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by racerTC3
What is everone running for lipos in 17.5 blinky class. Does the high c ratting make a difference? Or is it the larger mAh that makes the difference, staying in the higher voltage range during a 5 min run....
...What do you guys think? Thanks from a fellow TC3 racer.
I bought some 3300 (30C) Li-po's for my TC3 because they weigh only about 230g, as opposed to the 300g of my Turnigy 5300's (35C). I then started to get some ESC shutdown issues with my Hobby Wing speedo. In the end I disabled the low voltage cut-off and that cured the shut down issues. I was able to borrow a logger to check the voltage during a practice run and was amazed to see the battery voltage dipping to under 6 volts under extreme loads. This was with a 13.5 in a boosted class. Li-Po's don't like this sort of treatment I'm sure. The Turnigy cells hold up at over 6.85 volts under the same conditions.

The other thing to think about is that lightweight cells cause the car to be very badly balanced from side to side. I can't say I noticed too big an issue with this on the clockwise track I have raced it on, but it will make a difference to the ultimate behaviour of the car, which was desgined to have350g of NiMh's on the battery side.

Last edited by malkie; 04-09-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Added info.